Literacy Lovin’ Lab
The idea behind the title Literacy Lovin’ Lab is based on the idea that we are all lifelong learners. We, meaning our students and ourselves, are the scientists, testers, researchers, and test subjects in the classroom. We are the ones who see what works day to day, what sticks, what needs tweaking, and celebration! 🙂 Our job as educators is not just to teach, but help our students become engaged readers and writers in this ever-changing global world.
Elementary Educator, Literacy Coach, Teacherpreneur, Educational Literacy Blogger
My goal as a literacy coach is to work with teachers to integrate the explicit, systematic, multisensory approach to teaching phonological awareness paired with a strong balanced literacy program (reading and writing workshop) that teaches students the strategies they need to become independent, engaged, digitally literate, global, empathetic readers and writers.
During the last sixteen years of my teaching career, I have taught in Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and the Philadelphia suburbs. I currently teach 4th grade to students with dyslexia and language based learning differences. I have taught 2nd grade for nine years, 3rd grade, Prekindergarten, and preschool.
Some things to know about my experience as a literacy coach and educator:
- Completing my Associates Level Practicum through AOGPE (Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators)
- Tutor students using the Orton Gillingham method & Reading & Writing Workshop model
- Led a Writing Workshop study group for teachers,
- Coached teachers individually in grades K-6,
- TCRWP Trainings (Teachers College Reading and Writing Project): Reading Institute,
- Coached by a TCRWP trained literacy consultant in Writing Workshop for several years
- Presented at a writing workshop for teachers on nonfiction writing,
- Trained to use the following Literacy Assessments: Fountas & Pinnell, IRI, DRA, QRI, Dibels, Orton Gillingham, Phonographix, Words Their Way, Word Journeys
- Other Literacy Courses: Daily 5, Literacy Coaching, Words Their Way, Jennifer Serravallo (Reading Strategies), Writing Workshop -Katie Wood Ray,
- Associate Level OG training through Dyslexia Resource Trust & Classroom Educator by ISME
- Literacy Committee Co-Chair
- Masters in Elementary Education
- Served on my school’s Equity and Inclusion team
- Project Zero Training: Making Thinking Visible, Creating Cultures for Thinking, Teaching for Understanding,
- Woodin Math Method Training (multisensory approach to teaching math for students with language based learning differences)
- Equity and Inclusion Trainings: Rosetta Lee, Zaretta Hammond, Keno Sadler, & Ali Michael
- Service Learning co-chair
- Presented at NAIS – 2018
- Institute for Social Emotional Learning, Responsive Classroom, Spiritual & Ethical Education Symposium
- Emerging Leaders Institute AISGW
- Arts Integration Training – Kennedy Center
- Seesaw Ambassador
- Apple Teacher
This outlet of blogging and creating resources here on my blog and TpT has been a way for me to document my own learning as an educator and gives me an opportunity to give back to my colleagues who inspire me daily.